Wednesday, August 7, 2013

[Books] Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding


Goodreads
July 19 - Aug 7 2013

Summary

"139 lbs. (how is it possible to put on 4 pounds in the middle of the night? Could flesh somehow have solidified becoming denser and heavier? Repulsive, horrifying notion), alcohol units 4 (excellent) cigarettes 21 (poor but will give up totally tomorrow), number of correct lottery numbers 2 (better, but nevertheless useless)..."

Bridget Jones's Diary is the devastatingly self-aware, laugh-out-loud daily chronicle of Bridget's permanent, doomed quest for self-improvement--a y ear in which she resolves to: reduce the circumference of each thigh by 1.5 inches, visit the gym three times a week not just to buy a sandwich, form a functional relationship with a responsible adult--and learn to program the VCR.

Over the course of the year, Bridget loses a total of 72 pounds but gains a total of 74. She remains, however, optimistic...

Review

I'm going to get straight on to this and be completely straight forward with this review.

I bought this book thinking I would really enjoy it, but that was back when I was really into mild romantic comedy. I watched the movie, and it's still in my top 20 favorite movies.

The book started off with a list of Bridget's new years resolutions. The first chapter (or the January chapter) didn't really suck me in, but I kept going, determined to get this book off my to-read shelf.

Actually, Bridget reminds me of someone I know. Struggles with weight, doesn't know what she wants, smokes but tries to stop and fails in the end, struggles to be in a happy relationship with a man.

As I got to the middle, there were some funny bits, but I honestly got bored and wanted to get it all over with. I ended up skimming through the last chapter.

I would probably read the second book in time, but not anytime soon.

I recommend this lovely book to those who enjoy mild romantic comedy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to comment and letting me know that you exist! It is always so great to hear from one of my lovely readers!