Friday, July 19, 2013

[Books] The Help by Kathryn Stockett


Started on: July 7 2013
Finished on: July 14 2013

Synopsis
Three ordinary women are about to take one extraordinary step. 
Twenty-two-year-old Skeeter has just returned home after graduating from Ole Miss. She may have a degree, but it is 1962, Mississippi, and her mother will not be happy till Skeeter has a ring on her finger. Skeeter would normally find solace with her beloved maid Constantine, the woman who raised her, but Constantine has disappeared and no one will tell Skeeter where she has gone. 
Aibileen is a black maid, a wise, regal woman raising her seventeenth white child. Something has shifted inside her after the loss of her own son, who died while his bosses looked the other way. She is devoted to the little girl she looks after, though she knows both their hearts may be broken. 
Minny, Aibileen's best friend, is short, fat, and perhaps the sassiest woman in Mississippi. She can cook like nobody's business, but she can't mind her tongue, so she's lost yet another job. Minny finally finds a position working for someone too new to town to know her reputation. But her new boss has secrets of her own. 
Seemingly as different from one another as can be, these women will nonetheless come together for a clandestine project that will put them all at risk. And why? Because they are suffocating within the lines that define their town and their times. And sometimes lines are made to be crossed.

Review

The Help by Kathryn Stockett is a book that shows you the maids side of the story back in the 1960's. It was a time of the KKK and discrimination of other races, it was also the time of Martin Luther King and the civil rights movement. But this book mainly focuses on two black maids and one white rich girl who becomes an outcast in her town because of what she wrote. Aibileen, Minny and Skeeter

I bought this book last year because I watched the movie and thought it was interesting enough to buy the book and read it. When I started this book, I didn't think I would enjoy it so much. I thought it would be one of those boring books with meaning that would take me a whole month to finish, but nooooooo... this book was unputdownable. 

I listened to the audiobook of this, and the narrators did a marvelous job, they all did. I was speaking in a southern accent the entire time I was listening to it. 

I don't know if I've read any other books that made my heart melt just like this one did. It really touched my heart how people in this book can be so kind and patient with others. 

I highly recommend this book to be read by everyone. At least once in their life time. This book is up there with the must reads before you die list, because this book gives out a meaning that is unexplainable. 
It's an amazing book that is a must-read!


1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful book. I cannot believe this is this author's first novel. It made me late for bed many nights, because I could not put it down! Great work.
    I like this site :: Alaska Fishing Trips

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking your time to comment and letting me know that you exist! It is always so great to hear from one of my lovely readers!