Monday, May 27, 2013

[Books] Percy Jackson & The Olympians #1 - The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

Started on: May 23 2013
Finished on: May 27 2013
Synopsis

Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school... again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus' master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect. 
Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus' stolen property and bring peace to a warring Mount Olympus. But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch the true thief: he must come to terms with the father who abandoned him; solve the riddle of the Oracle, which warns him of betrayal by a friend; and unravel a treachery more powerful than the gods themselves.
Review

Percy Jackson is the son of Poseidon and finds out he's a demi-god or a half blood when his teacher Mrs Dodds tries to kill him in a museum. Percy is accused of stealing Zeus's lightning bolt, so he makes his way to Camp Half Blood because that is the only place that could keep him and the other half bloods safe from the monsters out in the real world. Percy and his newly found friends are assigned a quest to find the lightning thief and bring back the bolt to Olympus before the Summer Solstice or else World War III will happen.

I was really excited to start this book. It's a book about the mythological Gods and Goddesses, and I love books about mythology.

I watched the movie years back before I read that book, so I was curious to know whether the movie and books would be a lot more similar. I was very disappointed at the movie when I was half way through the book. I mean the way the book was written was in plain simple english that anyone could understand, and I don't really see why they should change the internal plot of the movie. I was definitely shocked that Percy was supposed to be 12. Movies always suck...

I really enjoyed this book, it was an easy read/listen (I listened to the audiobook). I enjoyed the story line. It was funny, adventurous, but not that boring all adventure stuff, it had a twist of modern humor and excitement going on. It was very simple and fresh for me.

I am looking forward to reading the entire series soon!

I recommend this book to those who enjoyed reading The Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter and to those who want a little bit of simple adventure into their reading lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to comment and letting me know that you exist! It is always so great to hear from one of my lovely readers!