Wednesday, February 29, 2012

[Books, Review] First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones


Summary: 
Charley Davidson: part-time private investigator and full-time Grim Reaper

Charley sees dead people. That’s right, she sees dead people. And it’s her job to convince them to “go into the light.” But when these very dead people have died under less than ideal circumstances (i.e. murder), sometimes they want Charley to bring the bad guys to justice. Complicating matters are the intensely hot dreams she’s been having about an Entity who has been following her all her life...and it turns out he might not be dead after all. In fact, he might be something else entirely.

This is a thrilling debut novel from an exciting newcomer to the world of paranormal romantic suspense.

So, Charley is a grim reaper. Never heard that story before, and may I say that for a debut author, I think Jones did a great job. From the beginning of the book I already started cracking up. Reading about a grim reaper was indeed different for me. 

Review:
I found the book in some ways confusing, I think its because I took a while to finish this book. The dialogue was kind of unfamiliar to me, since I am not used to reading mystery based novels. But I do enjoy the mysteries. I really enjoyed the story line, the main idea of the novel. It wasn't as unique as others, but it is some what different in its own ways.

Reyes Forrow...he is very mysterious. His character in the book was such a mystery to me while I was reading. I didn't even think that he would be what he is. I didn't even think about the heaven or hell thing. It was very creative how Jones throws around creative ideas into the novel, how everything is so scattered all over the place, and as you read everything connects. I think that's how it is in all mystery books yea? There was so much going on, so much action, everyone is trying to kill Charley for some reason. She somehow attracts a lot of enemies subconsciously, I find it hilarious. Reyes appearance everything she's in danger is pretty cool. Reyes/big bad is pretty cool. He is so hot as well. *dies*

All in all, I liked the book a lot. But I was a bit disappointed in myself that I didn't finish the book earlier than I used to because its such a good book. I found the book very amusing and witty, and it kept me reading at some parts. Its a great debut novel! I cannot wait for the next book to come out! I would totally recommend it to all readers who love reading paranormal books. All types of it.


★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to comment and letting me know that you exist! It is always so great to hear from one of my lovely readers!